Healthy food can taste good. Really good. Case in point: this one-skillet dish that has become a family favorite for us.
Zack found it on Twitter, from the Beach Body website (here
). He challenged, I accepted.
Of course, as is usually the case with recreating an American recipe in Norway, I made some modifications.
It all starts with the sweet potatoes. A food that made me gag as a child has now become a favorite in my quest for mixing it up when trying to cook healthy.
|Two potatoes, ready for baking
And the rest of the ingredients, sitting and waiting while the potatoes bake. I used ground chicken instead of chicken breasts, and I was very pleased with the results.
I also have quite an assortment when it comes to spices. Sage brought from the states. Pepper from Norway. Paprika purchased in Germany. And Hawaiaan sea salt that was a gift from some Norwegian friends. Also included: apples, raisins, red onion, and olive oil.
Apples and onions. With a little OO. Yum.
Chicken, raisins, and spices.
Toss that all together.
Throw it all back in the skillet with the diced sweet potatoes, and let it brown a bit. Then get ready to devour it.
Yeah, you can thank me later.
Hearty Chicken, Sweet Potato & Apples
3 teaspoons Olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2-3 apples – recipe called for cooking apples, I used what was on hand: Gala – cored, diced (the menu said peeled – I did not peel them)
2 cups cubed baked sweet potato (I baked two medium sweet potatoes)
¼ cup raisins
400 grams (@1 lb) ground chicken
1 tsp. dried sage
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
- Bake the sweet potatoes. (Oven is always best, but use the microwave if you must)
- Remove from oven. Cool slightly, remove skin, and cut into cubes
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken, using a little bit of the seasonings listed above (I ended up using more paprika & sage than the recipe suggested). Place in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the skillet.
- Add onion and apples; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until mixture begins to brown. Place in bowl with chicken.
- Add all other ingredients in the bowl; mix well.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add mixture, pat into an even layer in pan; cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir gently; cook an additional 2 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Serve immediately.