Healthy food can taste good. Really good. Case in point: this one-skillet dish that has become a family favorite for us.
|Two potatoes, ready for baking|
And the rest of the ingredients, sitting and waiting while the potatoes bake. I used ground chicken instead of chicken breasts, and I was very pleased with the results.
Apples and onions. With a little OO. Yum.
Chicken, raisins, and spices.
Toss that all together.
Throw it all back in the skillet with the diced sweet potatoes, and let it brown a bit. Then get ready to devour it.
Yeah, you can thank me later.
3 teaspoons Olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2-3 apples – recipe called for cooking apples, I used what was on hand: Gala – cored, diced (the menu said peeled – I did not peel them)
2 cups cubed baked sweet potato (I baked two medium sweet potatoes)
¼ cup raisins
400 grams (@1 lb) ground chicken
1 tsp. dried sage
¼ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
- Bake the sweet potatoes. (Oven is always best, but use the microwave if you must)
- Remove from oven. Cool slightly, remove skin, and cut into cubes
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken, using a little bit of the seasonings listed above (I ended up using more paprika & sage than the recipe suggested). Place in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the skillet.
- Add onion and apples; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until mixture begins to brown. Place in bowl with chicken.
- Add all other ingredients in the bowl; mix well.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add mixture, pat into an even layer in pan; cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir gently; cook an additional 2 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Serve immediately.